Dr Janis Fairbairn is the founder, owner and Principal Psychologist at Joondalup Psychology Centre. Her clinical specialities are with adults, children and their families who are effected by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), other anxiety or depressive disorders, addictive behaviours, or serious mental illness. Other areas of interest include intellectual and memory assessment, geriatric mental health and cross cultural psychology.
Dr Fairbairn uses evidence-based and clinically proven therapies (Psychological Therapies) and maintains a wide ranging program of professional and personal development.
Dr Fairbairn has acted in various capacities as lecturer and consulting psychologist, both nationally and internationally, where she trained therapists to use her program Frameworks for Change. This program evolved from Dr Fairbairn’s PhD research and aims to improve the mental health and coping of relatives of excessive drinkers, other drug users, gamblers and those with serious mental illnesses. Relatives are taught how to look after their own mental health as well as strategically encouraging their loved ones into treatment. More than 80% of relatives who completed Frameworks for Change reported significant improvements in their loved ones’ behaviour, and that many had entered treatment.
Dr Fairbairn has had considerable life experience as the mother of three and grandmother of six. She combines her wealth of knowledge, skill and experience with her clients’ strength, hope and experience to assist them to achieve their goals.
- Diploma of Teaching (Psychology) Darwin Institute of Technology NT Australia 1979
- BA (Hons) (Psychology) Murdoch University Perth Western Australia 1989
- PhD (Clinical Psychology) University of Wollongong New South Wales Australia 2002
- Diploma Hypnotherapy Perth Western Australia 2010
- Post Graduate Certificate in Forensic Psychology Edith Cowan University 2012
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Alcohol and other drug issues for both user and relatives
- Therapy for people with serious mental illnesses and their relatives
- Medico legal and other forensic issues
- Autism assessment and treatment for adolescents and adults
- Fellow of the Australian Psychological Society (FAPS)
- Fellow of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists (FAPSCC)
- Fellow of the APS College of Forensic Psychologists (FAPSFC)
- Member WA Institute of Clinical Psychologists